Florence Public School No. 1, built in 1924, served as the keystone of Florence Township’s educational system until its closure in 2007. The school is significant as the Township’s first high school, a use that began in 1942 and ended when a new, dedicated high school, was construted in 1952. The school was rehabilitated to serve as senior citizen housing, a use which also required construction of a new residential wing.
sbk + partners, LLC was retained by the site developer, Conifer, to complete the project subsequent to the Parts 1 and 2 approvals. sbk submitted Part 2 Amendments, provided guidance on historically appropriate material selections, and worked with the contractor to resolve unexpected issues during construction. Design issues resolved through State Historic Preservation Office and National Park Service reviews included window replacement, replication of multiple patterns of historic pressed tin ceilings and cornices in corridors and former classrooms, design of the new addition, and reconstruction of a structurally unsound rear wall. In addition to successful completion of the Federal Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credit application, the National Register of Historic Places nomination completed by sbk was approved by the New Jersey Historic Preservation Committee without comment, and the National Park Service.
Historic Rehabilitation Investment Tax Credit
Florence Public School No. 1
Florence Township, NJ